May - The Finale

April Community Service Hours: 12


Total Spring Community Service Hours: 24


I've been a volunteer for a "Meal on Wheels" community service program. We deliver meals and token of kindness to communities unable to purchase, prepare, or travel to retrieve their own. Earlier into this month, I became friends with Sarah. Sarah was in her 40s and was a cancer survivor. Sarah survived Glioblastoma. We worked on the same team, and delivered meals four times a month to several families giving them hope for a better tomorrow. I formulated a close relationship with Sarah. Sarah was the most optimistic person I had ever met. Despite our age gap, we talked about everything together. We talked about the Simpsons, which she loved. I hoped I could help improve and encourage Sarah's health situation and quality of life, enabling her to manage her chemotherapy while experiencing hair loss, unfortunately Sarah passed on. I wept at the delivery of this news. We always discussed planning to go watch the Simpsons movie together in theaters outside of volunteering. It demonstrated to me that I waited "too long" for Sarah in many aspects, and it inspired me to get involved in patients' lives sooner, on a personal level, before it is "too late". I also understand that sometimes the best you can do is assist someone manage their disease.




This past semester has been nothing short of extraordinary. From the moment I stepped into the classroom, I knew I was in for an exceptional journey. The instructors, with their knowledge and passion for teaching, have been instrumental in shaping my understanding of pharmacology. Their guidance and support have made learning not just a task, but a joyous endeavor.

But beyond the academic aspect, this semester has been about self-realization. As I became more familiar with the world of drugs and their mechanisms, I discovered facets of myself I never knew existed. The challenges posed by complex concepts pushed me to surpass my own limits, fostering a sense of resilience and determination I never though possible.

Moreover, the knowledge I have gained about new drugs and their applications in real-world scenarios has been nothing short of enlightening. Each lesson not only expanded my understanding of pharmacology but also opened my eyes to the profound impact the drugs have on individual health. Whether it is understanding the nuances of drug interaction or exploring the latest advancements in pharmacotherapy, every bit of information has been valuable in shaping my perspective as a future healthcare professional.

As I continue on my journey towards medicine, I carry with me not just the theoretical knowledge I gained from textbooks, but a profound appreciation for the practical implications of pharmacology. With each step forward, I am more confident in my ability to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others, armed with the valuable lessons learned this incredible semester.



Comments

Popular Posts